Monday, April 12, 2010

Conan O'Brien joins TBS; crying tears of absolute happiness

Despite rumors of joining Fox's lineup, news is spreading like wildfire over Conan's new show on cable. The news comes with the anticipation of Conan's first show on his comedy tour, kicking off in Eugene, OR today. It's official! Conan will now join the budding late night lineup at TBS. He'll push George Lopez's show to 12am as he begins at 11pm eastern. Lopez contacted Conan himself and promised to move to midnight, insisting it was a great move, having him as his lead-in. Nice to see some promises of moving time slots can be kept. The show will air Monday through Thursday and is expected to begin production in November.

Shortly after the announcement, he twittered, "The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I'll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show".

This news comes as a total surprise as it was widely believed he would be at Fox's upfronts in May announcing a new late night show. However, rumors also arose that the affiliates were none to happy to be airing Conan in an 11pm time slot, considering many were bound by contracts to air syndicated comedies. No one expected a move to TBS, and barely anyone suspected he was amid talks for developing a show there last week. Frankly, I'm glad he's moving to cable television. I think it's a great move, and it'll undoubtedly lend him more creative freedom. I can't wait. I thought TBS did a fantastic job of marketing, promoting, and branding Lopez Tonight. If they can do the same for Conan, or perhaps go with an even more aggressive approach, then the show should be in great hands. I'm literally brimming with excitement!

Conan's short statement: "In three months, I've gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theaters, and now I'm headed to basic cable. My plan is working perfectly."

Who's ready to watch Conan on TBS come November?!

1 comment: