Thursday, April 8, 2010

Wild Summer: The Resurgence of Print

Animal print has been on my mind lately, especially since seeing Giovanna Battaglia, the venerable L'Uomo Vogue fashion editor, in a mixed prints ensemble. At first glance it's a little crazy, a little wonky. At second glance, it's total genius. There's a lot of visual interest there and I admire a woman who's not afraid to be bold.





The resurgence of print on the runway this year definitely forecasts the presence of print in mainstream fashion this summer. Time to whip out your prints and sandals, because it's summer time! Donning prints can be a slippery slope from gorg to gaudy or from chic to cheap, but it's all about the art of balancing an outfit. Understated, not overstated. Someone needs to put that on a bumper sticker somewhere and turn it into an underground movement, or start a twitter hashtag, or you know, something equally as trendy. If anyone knows how to be bold with a print without going overboard, it's Giovanna. Gio mixes two loud prints, but the rest of the outfit is neutrally chic, and paired with the new amazing version of the Fendi Peekaboo, she's got that delicious pop of color. I love a great shade of pink with a print.

After an amazing mixed prints sighting, I feel like I've been noticing it everywhere I go, especially since it's popping up in editorials everywhere. My newest obsession is this V Magazine Spain April 2010 "Go Wild!" shoot featuring Masha Novoselova. As soon as I saw this editorial, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm not exactly sure if it's the infamous, insanely insane McQueen heels, the incredible attention to texture, or the beauty that is Masha Novoselova, but this editorial is epic and I am in love with it. How amazing is that spiky sweater? Sure, no one would ever be able to give you a hug, but it definitely ensures that no one will be sitting unbearably near you and getting all up in your business in tight, public transportation situations. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a complete sucker for anything spiked or studded. I'd totally make my own occasion to wear that out.

Check out the shoot below.

V Magazine Spain April 2010: Go Wild!
Featuring designers Alexander McQueen, Rick Owens, and John Galliano, this shoot was photographed by Txema Yeste and styled by Alberto Murtra. [Reader beware: some shots are NSFW.]









No comments:

Post a Comment