Monday, January 18, 2010

Golden Globes 2010 Recap

The Golden Globes were on Sunday, and I have to say, the red carpet was pretty much a downer. The first big awards show of the season and it was a snooze fest. Too bad. Big upsets and surprises when it came to the award recipients too, but more on that later.

My favorite of the night:
Kate Hudson in Marchesa
Wish she hadn't done those shoes, but I'll take what I can get considering all the other bland dresses on the carpet. I'm glad Kate took a chance with this dress, it's just a shame it was rainy and gloomy in LA because poor thing was carrying around her train like a little puppy.













Also loved Maggie Gyllenhaal in Roland Mouret. Not alot of women can pull off all that salmon pink, but my girl Maggie G does it with grace.
















Real offenders of the night:

Christina Hendricks in Christian Siriano. I love Christian, but this just did not work on Christina. I just couldn't look away--it was like rubbernecking past a car accident. T-r-a-i-n-w-r-e-c-k.













Lea Michele in Oscar De La Renta--this is just a classic case of too much dress on too little of a girl. Girl is petite--why would she want to wear a whale of a dress?

















Alright, enough of the snarky fashion commentary, time to move on to the winners and losers. Now before I get myself all riled up, I have to remind myself that this is the Golden Globes. It's not a precursor to the Oscars and it is a hell of a toss up every damn year. I just really had a hard time of understanding what went down this year.

To summarize:
  • Very surprised and shocked to see The Hangover win for best musical or comedy. Really thought the Weinstein Co wined and dined enough people for a Nine win. I'm not upset about The Hangover win though, just surprised. I really did enjoy that movie and I genuinely thought it stood out this year among other comedies, hell, movies in fact.
  • VERY surprised and shocked to see Glee win. Somewhere in my heart and mind there was a glimmer of hope for the underdog, Modern Family to nab a win, but wishful thinking. Maybe next year.
  • More surprises: female and male drama actor awards. Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side and RDJ for Sherlock Holmes. This IS Sandra's year. Not only is The Blind Side the highest grossing film with a female star headlining the marketing campaign, but she's been getting awards recognition. With a GG under her belt, you know she can up her quote now. But as much as I love myself some Sandra B, I was really hoping for Gabourey Sidibe to win for Precious. Her performance in that movie blew me away. Still in shock over RDJ's win for best actor and I'm sure he is too. I'm sorry, but what about George Clooney?
  • Well, well, well. I guess James Cameron can laugh in the faces of all the naysayers. Big night for Avatar. Somehow I thought best director would be going to Kathryn Bigelow or Jason Reitman. I also thought best picture would go to Up in the Air, but hey, it is the GGs. Interested to see how this will all play out come Oscar time.
  • Nice little tribute to Martin Scorsese during the presentation for his Cecil B. Demille award. Anyone else notice the huge plug for Shutter Island in the video montage? Well played, Paramount.
  • So, so, so pleased to see Toni Collette, Julianna Marguiles, Christoph Waltz, and Mo'Nique win. Well deserved. Especially Mo'Nique though. Can't tell you how absolutely blown away I was by her performance in Precious. It made me fear her and love her at the same time.
  • VERY surprised to see Michael C. Hall win for Dexter. He's been previously nominated every year for Dexter, but he's never won. John Lithgow's win was very much expected, but Hall's win not so much. Guess the two can toast to their new shiny awards to put up on their mantles. Not gonna lie though--I was really hoping for a Hugh Laurie win and very much expecting a Jon Hamm win. Guess I was wrong on all accounts.
  • And one last thing to end this all. WHY OH WHY does Alec Baldwin keep winning for 30 Rock? Can we please recognize the awesomeness that is Steve Carrell as Michael Scott on The Office?
Full list of winners below:

MOVIES

Motion Picture, Drama
Avatar

Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical
The Hangover

Director
James Cameron, Avatar

Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

Actor in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical
Robert Downey Jr., Sherlock Holmes

Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Mo'Nique, Precious

Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Screenplay
Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner, Up in the Air

Foreign Language Film
The White Ribbon (Germany)

Animated Feature Film
Up

Original Score
Michael Giacchino, Up

Original Song
"The Weary Kind," Crazy Heart; music and lyrics by Ryan Bingham and T-Bone Burnett


TELEVISION

Television Series, Drama
Mad Men

Television Series, Comedy or Musical
Glee

Actress in a Television Series, Drama
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

Actor in a Television Series, Drama
Michael C. Hall, Dexter

Actress in a Television Series, Comedy or Musical
Toni Collette, United States of Tara

Actor in a Television Series, Comedy or Musical
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock

Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
Chloƫ Sevigny, Big Love

Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
John Lithgow, Dexter

Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
Grey Gardens

Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
Drew Barrymore, Grey Gardens

Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
Kevin Bacon, Taking Chance

No comments:

Post a Comment