Thursday, August 11, 2011

Currently:



This pretty much sums up my mood to a T right about now.

To preface: I'm on yet another job search. My contract expiration date at work is nearing, and soon I'll be out on the street, begging for job-sized scraps once more. That's not too much to ask, is it? College education schmeducation.

Speaking of, I got a call from a sweet, young student from the UCSD alumni office last week asking for a donation. She was perfectly nice, but girl, please. First of all, if UCSD had actually helped me find a job post-graduation, sure, maybe. Second of all, girl, please.

Also, sidebar: I kind of love how they train the people in the office who have to make cold calls for alumni donations. They start off with this really chipper tone, and then ask about your life, how you're doing, and all that jazz (i.e. charm you into thinking your life is totally awesome now, even though it's a little far left of awesome, and a little more mediocre). Then they thinly veil the premise of the phone call with a contact information update and mention of the alumni events schedule. Yeah, okay, right. Like I don't know where this is going. And just when you think you can politely hang up, they start hounding you for donations. And you know what? You can't just say no because then you seem like a total jerk. So you've got to indulge them, right up until the point when they make you feel guilty for not being able to donate a measly $100 for their fantastic establishment. Oh, I'm sorry, UCSD! I didn't realize that the thousands upon thousands of dollars I spent on a piece of paper simply wasn't enough. Oops. Here's another $50. Can we call it even now?

Okay, Bitter Betty is cutting herself off.

No comments:

Post a Comment