Monday, March 8, 2010

82nd Academy Award Winners & My 2010 Oscar Scoresheet


Hey, 17/20 isn't half bad. I lost out on best foreign film, best adapted screenplay, and best cinematography, but I'm not complaining.

A surprise win for Geoffrey Fletcher and his adaptation of Sapphire's novel, "Push" for Precious, but I'm honestly happy for him. I loved Jason Reitman's adaptation of Up in the Air, and many thought he was favored to win, but hey, it's great to see such appreciation for Precious. Also, what a phenomenal accomplishment for Fletcher, as he becomes the first African American to win an Oscar for screenwriting.

As for Avatar's win for best cinematography, I have to agree with Roger Ebert-- Avatar's win for best cinematography was out of whack, especially since most of the film is CGI. I can't complain too much though, I loved the outcome of this year's Oscars-- for the most part.

My faith in the Academy is happily in tact. I was worried for a moment there. Avatar only took home technical awards--rightfully so and well deserved. The big winner this year was The Hurt Locker, which took home 6/9 major awards with best sound mixing/editing, original screenplay, film editing, picture, and director. I am so incredibly happy for the movie, and especially Kathryn Bigelow! A lot of people thought Avatar would sweep, but I just knew that this was The Hurt Locker's year. Kathryn Bigelow's huge win makes her the first female director to win an Academy Award for best director. What an amazing accomplishment and a huge night for women in Hollywood.

Just as predicted, Sandra came out on top in the Sandra/Meryl showdown. Bittersweet, but you can't win 'em all. Just like Steve Martin said, Meryl may be the most nominated actress in Academy Award history, but she's also the biggest loser in history as well. There's always next year, my Meryl. All kidding aside, I would have loved to see a huge surprise win for Gabby Sidibe--how amazing would that have been? Too bad it was a slim to none chance. Sigh.

Some show highlights: Loved Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin as hosts. Loved the John Hughes tribute. Loved Tina Fey and RDJ's little comedy bit about writers and actors in Hollywood. Loved it when Ben Stiller went all out in na'vi makeup and hair tail--we do realize that we've all made Avatar a joke now, right? Loved that Tom Hanks came out at the end to present best picture and didn't even bother with any teleprompter bullshit, just got down to business and read the winner aloud without any mention of the nominees. Loved the .5 seconds of total shock from The Hurt Locker producers and reading the looks on their faces as they were unsure what to make of that total lack of buildup best picture winner announcement.

With all that said, I do have two major qualms with this year's awards. 1) Up in the Air's total lack of wins. What a fantastic movie, and what underappreciation for it. 2) Farah Fawcett's absence from the tribute. What in the fuck was up with that?

I love the Academy Awards--the fashion, the huge, swell of appreciation for films, and the magic of it all. I'm a movie geek and a fashion freak, so you can't imagine how much I just relish in all of this. What a great end to an awards season. Well deserved winners, and to top it all off, amazing, amazing fashion, which is a huge relief for me after enduring some especially atrocious dresses on the carpet at previous awards shows this season.

Check out the full list of winners below, along with my Oscar scoresheet.

1. Best Picture

Winner: The Hurt Locker
My prediction: The Hurt Locker

2. Best Animated Feature
Winner: Up
My prediction: Up

3. Best Foreign Language Film
Winner: El Secreto de Sus Ojos, Argentina
My prediction: The White Ribbon, Germany -1

4. Best Adapted Screenplay
Winner: Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire, Geoffrey Fletcher
My prediction: Up in the Air, Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner -1

5. Best Original Screenplay
Winner: The Hurt Locker, Mark Boal
My prediction: The Hurt Locker, Mark Boal

6. Best Director
Winner: The Hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow
My prediction: The Hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow

7. Best Actor in a Leading Role
Winner: Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart
My prediction: Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart

8. Best Actress in a Leading Role
Winner: Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side
My prediction: Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side

9. Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Winner: Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds
My prediction: Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds

10. Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Winner: Mo'Nique in Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
My prediction: Mo'Nique in Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire

11. Best Cinematography
Winner: Avatar
My prediction: The Hurt Locker -1

12. Best Film Editing
Winner: The Hurt Locker
My prediction: The Hurt Locker

13. Best Sound Mixing
Winner: The Hurt Locker
My prediction: The Hurt Locker

14. Best Sound Editing
Winner: The Hurt Locker
My prediction: The Hurt Locker

15. Best Visual Effects
Winner: Avatar
My prediction: Avatar

16. Best Original Score
Winner: Up
My prediction: Up

17. Best Original Song
Winner: "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart
My prediction: "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart

18. Best Art Direction
Winner: Avatar: Art Direction: Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Kim Sinclair
My prediction: Avatar: Art Direction: Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Kim Sinclair

19. Best Documentary Feature
Winner: The Cove
My prediction: The Cove

20. Best Makeup
Winner: Star Trek: Barney Burman, Mindy Hall and Joel Harlow
My prediction: Star Trek: Barney Burman, Mindy Hall and Joel Harlow

Score: 17/20

No comments:

Post a Comment