Monday, October 5, 2009

Good things come in five

With a lack of much else to do (besides the job hunt), my friends and I have started a book club because a) we're awesome and b) we're a bunch of nerds. I chose our first book assignment and since it was our first, I decided to take it easy on everyone else and choose something quick and light: Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I have been confined to my house these past couple of days due to a wisdom teeth extraction (ouch!), so I had some time to kill. After exhausting my season 1 DVDs of House, I cracked open the book last night and read it just in time for our meet tomorrow.

It was a bittersweet, yet sweet (if that makes any sense at all) read, although I thought Albom was a bit preachy at times with lessons that are precisely (ala not subtly at all) laid out to the reader. But nevertheless, it was a quick, and nice read. Since I am so cheesy, I presented an exercise to the members of our group to compile a list of the five people they'd like to (or expect to) meet in heaven. Here is mine--it's a work in progress, seeing as I'm still living.

1. Someone that I have helped in my lifetime.
2. Someone that has helped me in my lifetime.
3. My significant other--I'm a sap who hates to be alone. Besides, it's heaven--why should you be alone?
4. Madonna--hopefully the lesson she'll teach me there is regret. Regret that she didn't realize we were best friends sooner.
5. Coco Chanel--'nuff said.

Since the theme is 5, here's a list of the last 5 notable books I've read:
1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath : I can't stress how much I love this book.
2. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote : a very short, and holly golightly read. Get it? Ha.
3. Blindness by Jose Saramago : not for the weak-hearted, as it can be very disturbing.
4. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie : a classic murder mystery.
5. Choke by Chuck Palahniuk : quite disturbing, yet quite hilarious.

The next five books I plan to read. Any feedback? Suggestions?
1. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
3. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
4. Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin
5. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

1 comment:

  1. I've read #2. It's really, really good - perfect for people still in touch with their childhood perspective of life (especially if you were a weird kid). It's a fast and easy read. Feel-good, but kind of feel-sad as well.

    ReplyDelete