Monday, October 19, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are: A Review

I saw Where The Wild Things Are last Friday, and I have to say, I am in complete love. Spike Jonze is a visionary, and the movie was just stunning. There were some scenes that were just absolutely breathtaking-- the whole world of where the wild things are, I can't even believe Jonze managed to capture it and bring it to life.

Spike Jonze wrote this script with Dave Eggers (You Shall Know Our Velocity!, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius) and expanded a 10 sentence children's book into an noteworthy script. There were times when the dialogue seemed a little muddled or nonsensical, but I'm assuming it was intentional considering it was through the lens of a little boy. The CGI, animatronics, and suitmation made the viewing experience so surreal, almost like a hyper reality where the lines of fantasy and real life became blurred. It was unlike anything I had ever seen in a movie. I know it sounds like I'm just ranting and raving, but I can't help it, this is a total fan girl moment for me. I was just so impressed!

Of course, the music was amazing, and Karen O and the kids couldn't have complemented the movie any better. The fact that the songs were very thematic and done by the same artists added a continuity to the film that made it feel more legitimate. The casting was also impeccable, I thought the voices sounded like they belonged perfectly to the monsters. I thought that James Gandolfini, as Carol, was particularly excellent. He really sold me. I loved that Jonze brought them each to life by giving each one a very distinct personality and name. Max Records, who plays Max in the movie, gave a very touching performance, and I was convinced as soon as he yelled, 'Let the wild rumpus start!' Tangentially, didn't anyone really think he looked like Ellen Page? It was freaky. He'd be her doppelganger if he wasn't much younger and well, a little boy.

I know there have been a handful of negative reviews and backlash towards the violence in this film, but I think people have to remember that this isn't a children's film, it's an adaptation of a children's novel. This was never meant to be a feel-good, lesson learned, Disney type of movie, and WB never marketed it that way. In fact, a majority of its campaign was focused on broad-based and adult markets. Obviously, I didn't think it was very violent at all, but I'm much more desensitized and I haven't been a kid for awhile now. What I do know is that this movie is a real depiction of what kids can be: tyrannical buggers who occasionally pitch hissy fits.

The verdict, in case you haven't paid close enough attention to my embarrassing adoration throughout this whole post? Go see it--especially if you grew up reading this book as a kid. Film adaptations can often miss the mark, but this was near perfection. You can tell this movie was a labor of love that Spike Jonze spent years perfecting.

One last great thing from the film? Max's suit! It was so awesome and perfectly worn and loved. I used to covet the wolf suit that Max wears. I wanted to romp around and wreak havoc in it. I still do! Ah, the good ole' days. It was the Max suit, the easy bake oven, and a cabbage patch kid--all of which I never got! Boohoo.

Coming up this week: a roundup of this fall's must see TV schedule per request.

3 comments:

  1. Damn this comment box. I hate that you have to sign in to leave a comment because I always write this long ass comment and then realize that I didn't log in and have to start over!

    Anyway, I said - I think you'd be ecstatic to know that yesterday I went to Joanne's and bought the materials to make myself a king max costume for halloween! I'm not making an entire suit because those adult costumes look ridiculous - so I got nice soft white material to make myself a hat and tail :)

    Also wanted to commend you for a good review arguing many different viewpoints. I'm def a fan of this blog now! <3 keep up the good work! Thanks for the TV reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that makes me so happy! please take pics of your costume in all its glory! it sounds like it's going to be awesome, like all your costumes usually are. :)

    I'm so glad you like the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are so passionate about this movie! So much that you're willing to take a stand against all the negative reviews out there. Have you considered critiquing movies as a part-time job? The best reviews are the ones with a solid, arguable and ligitimate reasonings instead of the usual, "bad dialogue" or "horrid cinematography"..I mean what does that even MEAN these days? Don't worry, I'm (obviously) not talking about your post =P.

    ..I'm excited to hear your Fall must-see tv lineup!

    ReplyDelete