Sunday, December 5, 2010

Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Cooper Building + CMC Building Sample Sales Roundup

With the holidays upon us, I thought it was only appropriate that I do a huge, long winded shopping post, since shopping is my expertise. Heh heh. This is a recap of my Black Friday/Cyber Monday and Cooper Building/CMC sample sale buys. Read on for deals galore!

This Black Friday was somewhat of a bust for me, but I took my buddy out shopping with me and she managed to snag everything off of her want list, which is a score for both of us, in my eyes. I'm a total enabler and I love helping people find great deals. I just took advantage of Gap's storewide 50% off and grabbed some winter essentials -- a chunky knit infinity scarf, an awesomely soft pashmina scarf, and a long sleeve tee all for $40. Not bad. I also used my Groupon and headed over to American Apparel and got two tees (one for me, one for the bf) and three nail polishes for $32. I love the colors the AA nailpolishes come in. They're so fun and festive! I always take advantage of Cyber Monday deals to bulk up my DVD collection and this year I stocked up on two seasons of Friends and the first season of Fringe.

Here's my BF/CM loot:



Today I'm wearing AA 'Office' (Sidebar: check out these cool Sanrio x McDonalds watches available now in McDonalds happy meals, celebrating Sanrio's 50th anniversary. Cute, no? It's kind-of-sort-of-really set off an obsession for me to collect them all.):



One of the biggest advantages of living in L.A. is the access to tons of sample sales. Sample sales here are a weekly occurrence, and this is definitely the time of year to hit them up as designers get ready to unload their stockrooms for the holiday season. I have a love/hate relationship with these type of sales though because I hate thumbing through racks and I am definitely not a pusher. There are definitely ladies out there who attend these sales who know how to pull the claws out. I, however, am a big 'ole sissy and I will surrender the $10 silk blouse if you give me the stinkeye. On the other hand, I love a good bargain and if there is a coupon/deal out there on something I'm about to buy, I will find it. I refuse to pay full price as a principle, especially since I've been to the stockrooms of many designers and I know how much alot of items go for wholesale. The wholesale vs retail prices of many goods will make you shed a sad, painful tear. So my ultimate point? I am a total sucker for these sales and will continue to go no matter how haggard they will run you.

Last Friday bf and I headed to the sample sales in the Cooper building and the California Market Center in downtown LA. Many designer showrooms are located in these buildings and while they're usually closed from the general public and open only to buyers, every other Friday they are open for public sample sales to get rid some of their inventory stock. Prices are usually rock bottom, and I love coming here because you'll never know what you're going to find. Last time I went I got a $5 silk Loeffler Randall dress (retail $450), a $5 loose black tee, and a $10 chambray romper. Not too shabby. This time I really lucked out.

Here's my loot:
7 for all mankind 'Josefina' studded shorts ($20) / Barlow sweater ($15)


Mike & Chris cotton/leather mix pants ($15) / William Rast leather pants/leggings ($50)


William Rast 100% silk shirts ($25 each -- love the slit sleeves on the first)


Funktional jacket ($20) and tee ($10) paired w/an H&M necklace


These sales are definitely worth checking out if you're in the L.A. area and just for this holiday season, sales are taking place every Friday! Check 'em out! If you do stop by, remember to bring cash (although there are BofA kiosks in the CMC building) and to bring your own eco-totes to store all of your buys as some showrooms do not provide bags.


Happy shopping this holiday season!

2 comments:

  1. were you able to use the american apparel groupon on top of the 20% off on black friday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't go to AA on BF, I went there over the weekend. Damn. I bet it would've worked though!

    ReplyDelete