Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Met Costume Institute Gala 2010: Best and Worst Dressed

The Met teamed up with Vogue and The Gap for this year's Costume Institute Gala, the theme for which was 'American Women: Fashioning a National Identity'.

This is one of my favorite fashion events-- it's a veritable mix of hot messes and hot dresses on the carpet. It's almost like a celebrity prom -- every year there are a handful of women wearing ridiculous looks hoping to look edgy and chic, and every year there are women who show up and really know how to work a dress.

My best and worst dressed picks:

Best Dressed:

Kerry Washington in Thakoon for Gap. The draping and that color against her skin tone is seriously perfection.
Coco Rocha in Zac Posen. How much do I love thee, Zac? Oh, let me count the ways. This dress is one of the reasons why.


Naomi Watts in Stella McCartney. Love this color on Naomi and love her hair with this dress.
Gwen Stefani in L.A.M.B.
Of course Gwen would wear L.A.M.B. and of course, she would kill it on the carpet. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen her look bad in an outfit, because I swear, she could wear a potato sack and still look damn good.


Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad. I think Jennifer looks great here, as she often does, but I wish she'd mix it up a little. She always looks so polished, and she looks too much like a beauty queen. Sure this dress is pretty, but it's just pretty, and that's about it.
Jessica Szohr in Atelier Versace. The mermaid cut hardly works for anyone, but it works for Jessica here. It's a combination of a great neckline, a gentle pouf of chiffon at the bottom, and Jessica's killer bod.


Bar Rafaeli in rag&bone. Jesus, Bar is gorgeous. It's seriously scary how beautiful this woman is and in this rag&bone dress? Killer. I love that she went for the mini, and I fully understand why because if I had legs like that I wouldn't be hiding them either.
Zoe Saldana in Calvin Klein. Okay, one word: svelte. It's total understated elegance, which is exactly what Calvin Klein is.


Chloe Sevigny in Proenza Schouler. Chloe's been wearing alot of Proenza Schouler lately and I'm loving it because I love the boys at Proenza Schouler and I love Chloe. The two of them together is music to my ears, or rather, a feast for my eyes.
Carey Mulligan in Miu Miu. I can't help it. I love Carey in anything Prada or Miu Miu. She has that perfect, 60's twiggy style. Long live Carey's pixi cut!


Melissa George in J Mendel. I love this color, and I love the cascading ruffle, but what really sets this off is that sweep of one shoulder chiffon.
Sarah Jessica Parker in Halston Heritage. As the new creative director at Halston, we've been seeing SJP in alot of the namesake brand, and I'm totally not complaining.



Worst Dressed:

Kristen Stewart in Chanel. Someone please explain to me how you sit down in that dress without your hooha showing? Unless this is one of those dresses you never sit or bend in. The beaded sheath, the asymmetrical, pointy boob? I'm just confused.
Vera Farmiga in Sophie Theallet for Gap. I usually like what Vera wears on the carpet, but she just looks like a done up milk maid here.


January Jones in Yves Saint Laurent. Love that dress, but those gloves are just overkill.
Christina Hendricks in L'Wren Scott. I don't think I can even speak about this ensemble. It just hurts.


Joy Bryant in Marchesa. I can't really blame Joy here, because seriously now, how can anyone possibly pull this ensemble off?
Blake Lively in Marchesa. I love that she went for a mini to show off those great legs, but I don't think anyone wants to have their butt look like it's covered in blue moss.

No comments:

Post a Comment