Thursday, September 9, 2010

Beauty Reviews: Brazilian Blowout, Coppola Keratin Complex, Marrakesh Oil, First Aid Beauty, Laura Mercier Primer, Maybelline Falsies Mascara

I go through a lot of beauty products, and finding the right products that work can be particularly expensive and time consuming, as it's often just a matter of trial and error. Everyone is different and everyone has varying tastes, but these are just some of the products that I've recently tried and have more or less worked for me. Some things to consider: I'm an Asian gal with a no muss no fuss attitude about hair and makeup. Simplicity is key for me. I don't do heavy fragrances and I have a very minimal attitude towards hair and makeup (read: lazy). I don't even blow dry because I'm really that lazy.

Now let me preface these reviews with a little note about my hair, considering half of these products/treatments have to do with haircare. I do not have normal Asian hair. Now, I have wished all my life that I had sleek, straight hair like many Asians do, but alas, that can never happen for me, not naturally at least. My hair is all kinds of wonky, and it likes to do whatever it feels like. One day it'll be really wavy, the next day it'll be flat with kinks all up in it. The only thing I can really count on is its slight coarseness and frizz. Naturally my hair is not so hot. Not so hot at all. That's why I usually need the help of my trusty Sedu straightener or box of Conair curlers. Unfortunately, excessive heat is a big no no for hair. Now I'm sure we can all see where this is going.. naturally messy hair + heat styling = damage = hot mess.

Alrighty then, moving right along.

#1. Brazilian Blowout Treatment
  • I've been toying with the idea of getting this done for awhile, but the price has always made me reconsider. The Brazilian Blowout is a treatment that does not damage your hair and leaves it soft and sleek for up to three months. It's basically a hair relaxer that particularly benefits those with damaged and curly/wavy hair. It will run you about $300+ at most salons. Luckily for me, LivingSocial must have sensed my need for this treatment and had it on one of their daily specials for $125. For $125 I just couldn't say no and I couldn't have clicked 'purchase!' any faster.
  • I got my BB done two weeks ago in a tiny, adorable salon called Studio Noi in Venice, CA. Owner Mar Fujimoto is a doll. The salon usually charges $300 for a BB, I believe. However, Mar offered me a second blowout at $185, even though I used the $125 LivingSocial voucher for my first. Sweet, right? I may be happy, but my bank account isn't. As great as this treatment is, I don't think I could stomach paying that much every three months for my hair.
  • No before and after pics, but I must say, I am a complete believer in the BB magic now! Obviously, after the treatment and blowout, my hair looked and felt fantastic, but that's always the case when you go to a salon. The real test was the day, week, month, etc after. It's been about two weeks now and I can report that my hair is still looking and feeling great. There's a definite difference in texture compared to how my hair was before. My only gripe is that my hair is not that much more straight, and it still looks quite odd when I wake up in the morning. However, the upkeep has significantly improved. I can straighten in 5-10 minutes flat, and my hair isn't left looking damaged and sad.
  • Final verdict? I love the treatment, but I'm not convinced it will last three months. I guess I'll have to wait and see. And as for getting another treatment? Who knows. It hurts to think what $300 x 4 (times a year) x the rest of my life may add up to. Yikes!
#2. Keratin Complex Shampoo & Conditioner by Peter Coppola (Alternative to Brazilian Blowout Aftercare Products)
  • After completing the Brazilian Blowout treatment, it's recommended that you purchase the aftercare products in order to prolong the results. You can purchase the products separately or as a bundle, which includes the shampoo, conditioner, serum, and deep conditioner. All together, the bundle will run you $130. My first thought upon encountering this little nugget of information? Oh no, oh hale no. I can't justify spending more on the after care products than I did the treatment. Tell me that isn't a bit ridiculous. So I went on a hunt for alternatives. That's when I came across Coppola brand products.
  • The brazilian blowout aftercare products include some ingredients from the original treatment, but some of the most important things to get out of these products is that they contain keratin and that they are sodium chloride free. Coppola products seem to do the trick for me as they are both sodium chloride free and chocked with keratin.
  • In short, the smell is great, and the products feel light in my hair. Products with sodium chloride can leave your hair feeling heavy and bogged down, as well as strip away the nutrients in your hair. Because the Keratin Complex products are free of those harsh ingredients, my hair is feeling light and soft, for the first time in a long time.
  • Some general tips to keep in mind while washing and conditioning: Only wash your scalp, and make sure you do so by gently massaging and not furiously scrubbing your hair. Make sure to condition pony tail down only because if you don't, it may leave your scalp greasy with residue.
  • Final verdict? A great shampoo and conditioner combo that really nurtures your hair and leaves it looking and feeling great. Very reasonably priced at roughly $15-$17 for the shampoo and likewise for the conditioner.
#3. Marrakesh Oil (Alternative to Morroccan Oil)
  • It's no secret that I'm a total cheapskate, and I'm always hunting for a better bargain. My hair stylist used MorroccanOil products on me, and while I loved it, I wasn't loving its price tag.
  • Luckily for me, I was sent a sample of Marrakesh Oil along with my purchase of the Keratin Complex Shampoo and Conditioner. Marrakesh Oil is the perfect alternative to MorroccanOil, and a little goes a long way. Just pump out a tiny amount into your hands and rub through the ends of your hair after a shower or before heat styling and voila! Your hair is smooth and silky. Before using Marrakesh Oil, I was using Biosilk, but it was leaving my hair slightly greasy. No such problems with Marrakesh.
  • Marrakesh Oil combines argan oil and Hemp Seed oil, which acts as a deep moisturizer for your hair, which is exactly why it should be used in moderation and only on the tips of your hair, and definitely not on your scalp.
  • Final verdict? Marrakesh Oil has a thick, sweet, cloying smell that can be overpowering to some, but the moisturizing benefits are great, and it definitely isn't too heavy for your hair. A great alternative to MorroccanOil, especially since it will only run you about $15 and will last you a long time since you only use a little bit of the product at a time.
#4. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
  • I've used many different kinds of moisturizers, ranging from pharmacy store brands to Chanel, Shiseido, Bare Escentuals, etc. I've never quite found the right one. I was at Sephora one day in search of a moisturizer, and I randomly picked up the First Aid Beauty Moisturizer. Having never heard of the brand, I decided to give it a whirl anyway.
  • I've been using it nonstop for two months now. I love this thing! It can be used all over your body, and it's seriously moisturizing! Now a lot of moisturizers do a good job at moisturizing, but usually with caveats. Sometimes they clog your pores or they're too thick, or they leave you feeling oily. This has solved all those problems, and even better, it smells delicious. I use this on my face day and night, and I use this all over my body. Sephora has recently started carrying more products by First Aid Beauty, and I will definitely be trying their other products.
  • Final verdict? It's a no brainer here, it's a must buy. It's everything you can want in a moisturizer. Great smelling, long lasting, and great for your skin. You can find the Ultra Repair cream at Sephora and it will run you $28, which is more than reasonable considering it's a big 6 oz!
#5. Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation Primer
  • Another product that I've tried multiple variations of. I've gone through Sephora brand, Chanel, Smashbox, and more. It's a tiring, frustrating search for the perfect foundation primer, that unfortunately, is still ongoing.
  • While I do like the Laura Mercier primer, I do have a few gripes about it. For one thing, if you apply a little bit too much, it can get flaky as you rub it into your face. It also isn't as long lasting as I had hoped, especially in the t-zone, and it does not have any SPF sun protection.
  • However, with all that said, I do think it does a good job, especially for its price. If anything, I'd prefer Chanel over this, but Laura Mercier is definitely more affordable when you get down to price-size ratio comparisons.
  • Final verdict? It does a good job for the price, but it's definitely not perfect. Buy it at Sephora for $30.
#6. Maybelline Falsies Mascara (Alternative to DiorShow Mascara)
  • I've been a pretty faithful user of DiorShow Mascara, but after buying tube after tube, I decided it wasn't worth it. First of all, at $24 a tube, it isn't exactly cheap. Now, I can deal with the price if the product is great, but this is the most offensive part: after a few months or so, the tube and the wand completely dry up. That's right. It dries up like a kiddie pool left in the Sahara. I can't believe I pay $24 time after time for a product that doesn't even want to work for me after a couple of months! Come on, Dior, step your game up!
  • My third gripe about DiorShow is that my eyes don't really look that va-va-voom after applying. Alright. Maybe there's a little va, but there's definitely no voom! In comes Maybelline Falsies.
  • After being a makeup snob for years and only buying designer brands, I decided to get off my high horse and turn to pharmacy store brands. My first foray was into Maybelline Falsies mascara, and boy, am I glad I made the change. It visibly lengthens my lashes and honestly, it's the longest I've ever seen them. The wand has a scoop design so it grabs nearly every lash. In my own opinion, Falsies is absolutely better than DiorShow, and I will never be going back.
  • Final verdict? While it can make your lashes clumpy if you're not careful, Maybelline Falsies is definitely worth the buy because the work it does on your lashes is amazing. We've all seen the commercials promising longer, more visible lashes and now we can finally believe them. Buy Falsies at your local drugstore or at Target for $6.29.

7 comments:

  1. Follow me and I'll follow you?
    www.poognewsletter.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!
    Roxanne
    PS I love Marrakesh Oil! I get it free from the salon where I work (I'm cheap too...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, the Coppola brand is not a good alternative for Brazilian Blowout aftercare. The problem is less sodium chloride than it is the sulfates which is the foaming agent. The ingredients in this shampoo is heavy in ammonium lauryl sulfate. I think the clarifying shampoo may be a bit better though. L'Oreal has a decent inexpensive sodium sulfate shampoo that works well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the hard work everybody is putting in to maintain the website and all the visitors to it, the webmasters are doing great job, thanks again to all the good people. Keratin Brazilian Blowout and Brazilian Blowout

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brazilian Keratin treatment is better than any other keratin treatment because the results last for a long time! If you live anywhere near Hollywood, then getting Brazilian Keratin Hollywood is the best thing you can do for your hair. It not just changes the way your hair looks, but also changes the way you have to take care of it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Basically their are two hair treatments which have became very popular over the past decade. One of these treatments is known as the Japanese hair treatment, the other is the Brazilian hair treatment, and although they may have different names and function on your hair , ultimately they share the same mission statement, which is to make your hair smooth and frizz free.
    Keratin blowout in San Ramon CA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keratin is a protein component that forms the building blocks of hair and nails. It is an enriching structural body of hair and gives it the shiny, silky luster that every woman wants.
    Thanks for sharing...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes well said! I searched a lot for right products for my hairs, but all are very expensive. Then I found best keratin complex shampoo and really after my first use, I felt so silky and shiny hairs. Now I will use this shampoo in my hairs only as it gently cleanse my hairs.

    ReplyDelete