Monday, May 17, 2010

Confused by NBC's upfronts

Today NBC officially unveiled their 2010-2011 fall schedule at their upfront presentation.

I have some concerns. The biggest of which involves Parks and Recreation, an amazing comedy which really took off creatively this season. Season one was pretty lukewarm, but I stuck with it and I made it a point to continue watching through season two. Season two has been beyond awesome and it's pretty safe to say that I'm basically obsessed with the show. I've replaced my Thursday night ritual of watching The Office followed by 30 Rock to watching Parks and Rec followed by The Office. Imagine my surprise when I discover that in order to make room for new original programming, NBC has moved Parks and Recreation to midseason. Seriously, NBC, seriously? That just baffles me. Parks and Rec has more than proved itself and it deserves to stay in the comedy line-up this fall. I'm really disappointed that I'll have to wait even longer than I anticipated for the return of the crazy antics of the Pawnee parks and rec department.

Another concern related to today's upfronts: NBC may continue on with The Office even after Steve Carrell leaves. Let's backtrack. If you haven't already heard, Carrell recently mentioned in a BBC radio interview that he would not be returning to The Office after his contract expires at the end of next season. Now, I have slowly been trying to cope with the devastating fact that The Office would be ending next season. Surely I thought NBC would foresee the potential train wreck that could be The Office following Carrell's departure, but Jeff Zucker recently remarked that the producers of The Office were preparing contingency plans for the show's continuance without Carrell. I can't even entertain the idea of The Office without Carrell. I am a HUGE fan of the show, especially its supporting cast, and I have been from the beginning, but The Office cannot stay afloat without Michael Scott. Who knows, I may be eating my words two years from now, but I honestly just don't see The Office without the man that made The Office what it is today in American pop culture.

I'm so struck by the above issues, that I'm totally indifferent to the new batch of shows hitting NBC this fall. Hopefully that will change.

Check out the full schedule below (new shows in caps), and check out Deadline Hollywood for full descriptions.

MONDAY
8-9 p.m. - “Chuck”
9-10 p.m. -- “THE EVENT”
10-11 p.m. - “CHASE”

TUESDAY
8-10 p.m. - “The Biggest Loser”
10-11 p.m. - “Parenthood”

WEDNESDAY
8-9 p.m. - “UNDERCOVERS”
9-10 p.m. - “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit”
10-11 p.m. - “LAW & ORDER: LOS ANGELES”

THURSDAY
8- 8:30 p.m. - “Community”
8:30-9 p.m. - “30 Rock”
9-9:30 p.m. - “The Office”
9:30-10 p.m. - “OUTSOURCED”
10-11 p.m. - “LOVE BITES”

FRIDAY
8-9 p.m. - “Who Do You Think You Are?”/”SCHOOL PRIDE”
9-10 p.m. - “Dateline NBC”
10-11 p.m. - “OUTLAW”

SATURDAY
Encore programming

SUNDAY
7- 8:15 p.m. -- "Football Night in America"
8:15-11:30 p.m. -- "NBC Sunday Night Football"

SUNDAY (beginning March 2011)
7-8 p.m. - “Dateline NBC”
8-9 p.m. - “Minute to Win It”
9-11 p.m. - “The Celebrity Apprentice”

No comments:

Post a Comment